[pct-l] Food Dehydrator Tips or Recipes?

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Mon Dec 6 14:27:04 CST 2010

You can definitely do chili!

I now have 2 dehydrators and found that I can only use the one with a fan.
The "passive" one did not work on the chili. It got all moldy :( With the
"good" dryer, it worked great! It did take more time to rehydrate than I
expected, but food prep time is not an issue for me on the trail.

I have a tip for you too. They say to use plastic wrap for stuff like chili,
soup, fruit leather etc. Instead, use wax or parchment paper. I found it
MUCH easier to cut it to fit my trays. I did try one tray with plastic wrap.
It dried about the same, but was a major PITA to get on the tray. I like the
parchment papers best because it was wider. The wax paper I had wasn't quite
wide enough to cover my entire tray.

I did some fruit this weekend and it seemed to work better than my last
attempt. The key thing I learned for fruit is to cut it thicker than I
thought. I was making thin slices, but you really need them to be ~1/2"
thick!

Please let me know if you come up with any good recipes. My turkey chili
worked great. Next I want to try a chicken stew or something I can put
dumplings in.

--
~ Kevin
Soon To Be PCT Thru Hiker!