[pct-l] Lone Pine vs Independance resupply:

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 5 10:12:43 CST 2010

Good morning, Paul,

I’ve done both.  A Lone Pine side trip starts with a relatively short,
down-hill hike to Horseshoe Meadows which is a popular trail head,
particularly for horsemen.  I found the hitch OK.  In my opinion, Lone Pine
is the better resupply and zero-day option.  I stayed at the hostel.

An Independence side trip starts with a hike out via Kearsarge Pass, which
is longer and more uphill, but scenic and vastly rewarding.  Plus, it’s
further north which reduces the pack load into the Sierras.  I hitched to
Independence on a day when most of the people were going up to hike rather
than returning to town.  At the time I was fortunate to be hiking with Stone
Dancer – a very classy lady – without whom I may have been thumbing for a
long time.  Getting back up hill was a bit of a slow hitch as well,
requiring close to a half-day.  I just had to be patient.

If you mail yourself a resupply box each is convenient.  If you buy
supplies, Lone Pine has better stores.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09