[pct-l] My feet are killing me!

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 3 14:27:07 CST 2010

My feet were fine until I started jogging on the sidewalks where I live.  As I got better at it, I started going faster and longer.  The problem was that I started running on my toes instead of my heals and I believe that is what brought about my Morton's Neuroma. All that weight coming down on bent toes without ever allowing my heal to land was not good.

I had to stop jogging and now only hike.  Hiking often inflames the problem, but wide shoes and good form helps.  When placing your weight onto your foot, start with the heal, but don't just slap the toes down from there. Use the the side of your foot to absorb some of the impact.  By distributing the weight from heal to toe no one part of the foot need take all the pressure.  Look at a footprint in wet sand.  Those are the contact points that you should use when you walk.

Shepherd.