[pct-l] My feet are killing me!

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:49:39 CST 2010

Whimpie,
I also have had trouble with my feet... mostly plantar fasciitis. One way I have managed to over come this problem is by strengthening my feet. To do this I have been wearing crocs (or flip-flops depending on the season) for the past 1.5 years. I was able to wear them to work as well so I managed to get my feet used to not being in shoes. This could be a problem of course because wearing crocs backpacking might not be such a good idea but getting my feet back into their natural shape and working those muscles has really helped. The next step for me is to find a pair of shoes that are roomy enough for my feet, very flexible (so my foot can move naturally), have cushioning but still have decent tread so I won't slip and slide around. Haven't found them yet.
Also, I would encourage you to some research about heel strike and the growing concern about the negative effects on the whole body. While it might help with the front of your foot, it might create other problems structurally. Good luck with your feet!
Shelly