[pct-l] See SPOT run...

tom aterno nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 08:59:20 CST 2010

I go to the wilderness to get away from the high tech life I live and work in.
It is relaxing to simplify my life when backpacking.  The mere act of placing
one foot in front of the other and carrying all that I need on my back is a
breath of fresh air for this hiker.  I do not carry Spot, and rarely carry
amateur radio since the radio rarely works in the areas I backpack.  A digital
camera and LED mini-flashlight are the only techy devices I take along.  I
am fully aware of the possible dangers, and I do take precautions since my
situation requires that I usually backpack or day hike by myself.

I have been doing this since the 1970s, when there were none of the
safety devices available, at least not to the general public, and have been
fortunate to not have any serious incidents.  I simply relied on my common sense
and experience to stay safe in all four seasons in the Adirondacks.  And hiking
on trails, as I usually do not go cross-country, mitigates some risk.

But I feel a Spot will be in my future, because my significant other will
require it.  She is the boss, you know, and I will comply.

The Incredible Bulk