[pct-l] smartphone as GPS

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Dec 2 12:06:14 CST 2010

I couldn't download Halfile's gpx file directly from the internet using my Droid X as it said the file type wasn't supported by my phone.  But I did easily download it on a computer and then copy it to the phone in the directory my phone stores the topo maps. I use Backcountry Navigator which allows copying free topo maps from several sources so they can be used without cell coverage. It works great. Battery life is short though. I have a spare battery and will look for a way to charge one while using the other.
AsABat
PCT Water Reports SoCal http://pct.4jeffrey.net
Send water updates to water at 4jeffrey.net