[pct-l] cuben fiber

Eugene Leafty atetuna at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 1 00:41:09 CST 2010

Sure!

In short, cuben fiber is the lightest and one of the strongest fabrics that
you can backpack with.

It is completely waterproof, nonbreathable, does not stretch or sag and does
not absorb moisture.

It consists of spectra fibers in the middle with mylar on the exterior.

Because the spectra fibers are not woven like in traditional fabrics, sewing
cuben fiber does weaken the fabric and may require extra attention to retain
strength at the seams.

Cuben fiber can be as thin as a plastic grocery bag.  0.33 ounces per yard.
Some people have made quilts with this.  Evan showed his quilt at ADZPCTKO
this year.  Both of us used cuben fiber that was a little thicker because as
far as we knew, we were the first people to attempt using a cuben fiber
quilt for a long hike, so we thought the extra thickness would hold up
better.  0.51 ounces per yard.  Now I think the lighter fabric would have
been good enough.

The disadvantages of using cuben fiber is that demands more attention during
design and construction, it is expensive, and abrades more easily.

The advantages include:
- The potential for maximum weight savings.
- Easy field repairs using any tape.
- A vapor barrier layer that stops cooling from evaporation.
- Complete waterproofness means that unlike traditional fabrics, insulation
is well protected from moisture, whether that moisture be liquid or vapor.
- Easy cleaning...just wipe with a moist towel.
...and more

Cuben fiber can be purchased directly from the manufacturer:
http://www.cubictechnology.com/
Or from:
www.thru-hiker.com
www.zpacks.com
http://www.questoutfitters.com/

The following companies make gear out of cuben fiber:
www.enlightenedequipment.webs.com/   <-- Tim made my quilt
www.zpacks.com  <-- Joe made my shelter
www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/
www.mountainfitter.com
Big Sky International

All these folks either do custom work exclusively, or upon request.

There is also breathable cuben fiber, but nothing is known about it.  Big
Sky International showed a tent made out of it at the Outdoor Retailer show
earlier this year, so at least we know that it is being produced, although I
haven't heard of anyone else getting any of it.  Hopefully it's the
ultralight alternative to goretex.

Hopefully we see someone from Cubic Technology at ADZPCTKO next year so we
can find out more about cuben fiber and how to use it.