[pct-l] how do running shoes tend to die, and when?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Aug 29 12:30:00 CDT 2010

On Aug 29, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Actually I think these are too cheap to even have foam in the sole :-)
> (cheaper is better??)

Whatever you can walk well in has to be better than what makes you
walk poorly.

Anyway, by cheaper I mean for example, I found the expensive new
Balance shoes that everybody likes to be very uncomfortable. I was
hobbling after 10 miles. But I bought a $39 pair of cheap New Balance
400 series at Big 5 and they were very comfortable. They seemed to
last as long or longer than the expensive ones, but the mesh material
they are made out of isn't as open and doesn't dry as quickly. Plus
the sole is less "aggressive". I haven't found that the PCT requires
highly technical footwear. It's maintained well and the grade is gentle.