[pct-l] how do running shoes tend to die, and when?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Aug 27 15:09:40 CDT 2010

Good afternoon, Duck,

I generally wear middle-line running or trail shoes, and I also target
approximately 500 miles.  Some have been replaced at Hiker Heaven while
others continued to Kennedy Meadows.  At those points none have been worn to
the point of being unserviceable but I expect the EVA foam in the soles had
long ago become poor at absorbing shock.  In that regard I’m more concerned
about shoes for running rather than for hiking.

One of the first areas to get ratty is the lining inside the back of the
heal.  It goes quickly, and looks awful, but I haven’t been troubled by it.
I used to patch the inside with duct tape or Gorilla Tape but I no longer
bother; I just let them wear out.

Most soles have an extension of sole rubber – narrowing to a rounded point
-- glued up the front of the toe box.  Often this glue-job fails and the
rubber makes a flap that sticks forward.  It looks bad but also it tends to
catch rocks and sticks while walking.  I usually trim the flap with a knife
because I don’t need anything else tripping me; I do enough of that without
help.

Often parts of the toe box are made of some kind of synthetic leather-type
material which tends to crack over time.  The cracks, in themselves, don’t
really cause a problem but given sufficient time they will admit dirt,
pebbles, and other trail-trash.

Standard marshmallow insoles often wear quickly, and tend to slide and
bunch-up when wet, so I rip them out and install SuperFeet when the shoe is
new.

I’ve seen some pretty pathetic shoelaces, but I seldom have a problem
because I keep them as loose as possible and I wear gaiters to cover about
half the lacing, the knot and the ends.

The soles see some wear, but surprisingly not a great deal.  I’m
particularly alert to uneven wear that could alter my gait or otherwise
unbalance my walking.  I don’t often find anything unusual.

The claim is that sneakers don’t need any break-in but I prefer to wear them
for about 100 training miles before I set them aside for the hike.  Sometimes
an inside seam will move to a place where it troubles my foot and can
possibly cause a blister; even on trail-tough feet.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09