[pct-l] (no subject)

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 10:31:16 CDT 2010

About 3 days after I started hiking with running shoes my left ankle
starting hurting so bad I could barely walk on it.  I suffered through it.
The same day it stopped hurting, my right ankle started hurting.  I suffered
through it.  After the right ankle stopped hurting, my right knee started
hurting.  It healed, then my left started.  It healed, and I have never
again had any ankle or knee pain while hiking.  Took a total of about 1 week
to build up the strength.  Now I never hike in anything accept running
shoes.  When I switch back to boots I feel clunky and uncoordinated.  I feel
more likely to stumble and fall.  When I hike in running shoes now I feel
very safe and agile.

I'm not saying this is normal or that you'll experience this.  Just that it
was an neat, curious thing.  And I think had I taken it a little slower (I
started out at about 25 miles per day in the Cascades) I would have
developed that strength without all the pain.

I think our bodies adapt quickly to whatever kind of footwear (or lack
thereof) that we decide to use.  At least mine did.  But if you've been
hiking for decades in boots, take it slow for the first week or so after
switching to running shoes.  Your ankles will have to learn to support
themselves, and your body will learn to walk differently.  That takes time.

:)

Happy hiking!

--
Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway."
-John Wayne