[pct-l] shoe sizing, cont..... (and boots and other things

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Aug 25 22:31:23 CDT 2010

Little Foot did not walk very fast when she was barefoot. She told me
she could only keep up with me wearing her flip-flops. And I was
walking slow so I could talk to her.

I saw porters in Nepal carrying 6 sheets of half-inch plywood with
tumplines and cheap flip-flops. People would feel sorry for them and
give them boots but they would just sell them. Huge boots really are
not a necessity for them and they are not built with any different
parts than you or me. I'd certainly wear warm shoes in winter or
steel-toed boots on a job site, but I really don't think we need a
lot of protection or technology just to go for a walk in the
mountains in the spring or summer

I have been wearing low-cut hiking shoes for about 12 years and
sandals for a good portion of this year. When my ankle rolls, I feel
no pain or discomfort and I never get injured. My ankles are strong
because I use them. I do believe that we humans have strong enough
tendons and ligaments if only we would use them instead of
immobilizing them in high-tech footwear.

I remember leading a super strenuous Sierra Club hike. A barefoot
lady showed up for this hike. I really didn't think she'd be able to
do it. Primitive trail, super rocky, rock climbing, route-finding,
sharp chaparral, hot sun. She did fine. Put on flip-flops when the
rocks got too hot in the afternoon. I was a believer then. If you use
your feet and ankles, they will get strong. But use your feet too
much and boy do they look ugly! Her feet were really dirty and ugly.

Diane