[pct-l] Some Lessons Learned the Hard Way

david woods dkwoods33 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:31:29 CDT 2010

**His hospital Doc told him his lymph system was involved. A friend who is a
PA said it sounded like "Lymphedema" to her. It is all Greek to me.

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 3:03 PM, <ned at mountaineducation.org> wrote:

>  David,
>
> Sounds like your son, Dan, did exactly the right thing and wasn't careless
> or unwise at all. Like you said, from now on he will be all the more wise
> and careful regarding his on-trail treatment of future blisters. Thankfully,
> he was able to get off the trail and find (with your help) medical aid
> before things could get worse. I had no idea cellulites could be so bad!
>
> Halfmile pointed out that "Sandals" suffered a very similar experience:
> http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=188333
>

> Ned Tibbits, Director
> Mountain Education
> 1106A Ski Run Blvd
> South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150
>     P: 888-996-8333
>     F: 530-541-1456
>     C: 530-721-1551
>     http://www.mountaineducation.org

>>> Portola. At this point we thought he would take a few antibiotics for a
>>> few
>>> days and then we would resume the hike so we headed for the closest
>>> place,
>>> Graeagle. The nurses there took one look at his ankle and heel and told
>>> us
>>> to go to the emergency room in Portola which was only 10 miles away.  The
>>> doctor there ordered an ultra sound to check for clotting and gave him a
>>> dose of two antibiotics and a dose to take in the morning and a
>>> prescription
>>> for a 10 day supply and sent us on our way with instructions to come back
>>> if
>>> the swelling spread, etc.
>>>
>>> After checking out the motels in town we decided to go to Reno to get a
>>> better rate on a better room. We checked into the Motel6 near downtown
>>> and
>>> waited for the antibiotics to kick in. This was Tuesday evening. By
>>> Wednesday evening the swelling was above his knee and he was experiencing
>>> vomiting and diarrhea (probably an allergic reaction to one of the
>>> antibiotics). His oldest sister who I was in touch with by phone wanted
>>> me
>>> to take him to the ER then. He wanted to wait to give the antibiotics a
>>> chance to work. He woke up at 3:00 Thursday morning and was sick enough
>>> want to go to the ER so we looked on the web (thank goodness for cell
>>> phones
>>> and laptop computers) and found the nearest hospital which is St. Mary’s
>>> and
>>> is about a mile from the motel.
>>>
>>> Within an hour of arriving at the hospital he was in the ER on IV
>>> antibiotics, had had an X-ray and blood drawn for culture. Later in the
>>> day
>>> he was admitted to the hospital and had an MRI. To make a long story a
>>> bit
>>> shorter, he was in the hospital 9 ½ days during which time the swelling
>>> progressed as far as his armpit and out onto his rib cage. He had surgery
>>> on
>>> his heel and was infused with many doses of several different
>>> antibiotics,
>>> first generics then “designer”. He is now at home taking expensive oral
>>> antibiotics for 2 weeks. Of course this all scared the heck out of his
>>> family and the bill is sure to be a thing of beauty.
>>>
>>> A doctor friend of Dan’s sister told her that this type of infection can
>>> result from the bacteria (Enterococcus) leaking from one’s own gut due to
>>> constipation and/or dehydration. Of course walking in animal or human poo
>>> with an open wound is also a possibility.
>>>
>>> Dan had at least 2 instances of walking long distances with no water on
>>> this
>>> hike. He also had an untreated or marginally treated blister for 1-2