[pct-l] october oregon pct hiking

Susan Virnig susan at newstories.org
Wed Aug 25 16:39:42 CDT 2010

If you're starting at Cascade Locks and NOBO, you're hiking WA, not Oregon.  If you're starting at Cascade Locks and hiking SOBO, then you're doing Oregon.

Twice I've been in the middle of blizzards in the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness (if you're actually hiking Oregon) the FIRST weekend of October.  Unless you are a very experienced snow hiker and go with gear for storms that can last 2-3 days, I would recommend trying it next year.  If you're hiking WA, read the stories of thru-hikers getting stopped 50 miles from the Canadian border by terrible snow storms in early October.  WA, too, would be much better tackled earlier in the season.

Susan from Spokane