[pct-l] Propane Availability

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 23 22:47:59 CDT 2010

I've seen several references to propane fuel on the list when most likely the fuel being asked about is some mixture of isobutane.
Propane is used for Coleman type car camping lanterns and stoves. It comes in heavy steel green cans. The liter sized Coleman green cans are common. You don't want to be using these on a hike.
Most backpacking stoves use isobutane fuel mixtures which may contain some propane but not much. They can be packaged in lighter containers. This is the MSR and SnowPeak type fuels.
If you call a store and ask if they carry propane you probably won't get a valid answer.

In 2004 and 2006 I found isobutane and propane canisters at Yosemite. However, if you're early in the season they may not be stocked yet. VVR had only 1 or 2 cans of isobutane when I was there.

Snap