[pct-l] Fw: pct ride

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 20 22:38:27 CDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: Barry Silver <silverbarry at hotmail.com>
Sent: Fri, August 20, 2010 5:16:56 PM
Subject: Re: pct ride

Hello again Barry,

If you want to ride on the PCT K.Falls and Sisters are not on it.  In that
latitude it would be Siskiyou Pass and McKenzie Pass.  I had no real problem
finding adequate graze along the trail and in my camps through those Sections.
If you want to ride that part of the PCT it would be much better to start at
Seiad Valley.  Camp #1 at Kangaroo Meadow (15 0r 20 acres of very good graze);
Camp#2 either Donomore Meadow or Grouse Meadow (good graze) - resupply from what
you have cached at Siskiyou Pass and then go on to camp at a fenced spring just
beyond Pilot Rock (over an acre of excellent graze just off the PCT) etc.  I
drove ahead and cached at the PCT crossings of Highways 140,138 and 58. That
would get you to McKenzie Pass - a total distance of 331 miles on the PCT.  None
of that part is difficult.  Sometimes I stealth-camped well off the PCT. You
find these places as you go.  Use your maps and your eyes.  My caches included 6
pounds per day of processed horse feed for Primo plus a 5 pound bag that he
could eat while I repacked.

If you have access to a computer check out the following:        Type in just my
trail name       mendorider      That will get you to a page on the Long Riders
Guild website.  They asked me to write that article.  The picture is of Primo
and I at Monument 78 - the border of Canada.

You can find an article I wtote on my 2008 ride at:      equestmagazine.com/ed
anderson          Scroll down among articles.

Check out our FORUM at:       postholer.com/stockman            Lots of info
there.

Happy trails on your ride.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson