[pct-l] Section L anyone?

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 23:10:51 CDT 2010

Hi Lucy,

I rode my Arabian horse through that section while compleating my solo ride from
Mexico to Monument 78 last year.  After reaching the border I turned around and
rode back to Mazama, where I had last parked my rig.  I saw lots of bear sign in
some areas - especially near my camp next to a meadow east of Hopkins Pass.
There are some Grizzleys in that area that have found thier way down from
Canada.  I had no problems.  I stored all of my food and my horses food in
OP-SAKS. They are very effective in containing food smells.  I also kept a clean
camp and used "bear charms" (moth balls in cotton tobacco sacks) as a repellent.
I have used mothballs in bear country for over 20 years now. I am confident
that  bears dislike that smell and stay away from it.. I noticed hikers hanging
thier food sacks high in trees.  I just leaned my OP-SAKS against the base of
trees and surrounded them with the mothball sacks. I also surrounded my tent.

Hope you found someone to hike with and were able to complete your hike.

MendoRider