[pct-l] What do others do to get/stay in shape

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 17:57:20 CDT 2010

Dear John,

When I run too many miles I tend to have problems with my IT band, like you
except over my right hip.  Actually, over the hip the IT Band actually
begins as a muscle, the TFL or Tensor Fasciae Latae.  The muscle has to
travel back and forth over the Greater Trochanters of the femurs when we
walk or run which can cause irritation.  The body has Bursa Sacs to
facilitate this movement but repetitive stress, over time can lend itself to
irritation.  Women have a greater problem with this area as our hips have a
more widely spaced Pelvis and Greater Trochanters.  A man's TFL can travel
over a flatter surface where a woman's TFL has to travel over a more
pronounced bone.

Here is how I manage this issue!

I have a very smart Orthopedic Surgeon and Physical Therapist.  They
suggested that my gait was uneven and I placed more stress on my right leg.
To put this another way, I was taking a slightly longer, more powerful
stride with my right leg.  This was below the threshold of my perception but
over a million repetitions it caused repetitive stress and inflammation in
the Bursa Sacs or TFL in my right hip.  It never occurred to me that I was
doing this but I concentrated on taking a longer, more powerful stride with
my left leg.  My P.T.also gave me some ways to stretch this muscle and
entire IT band.  Anyway, if your IT band only gets inflamed on one side, you
might be able to manage it by taking a longer or more powerful stride with
the other leg.

As we age, we have to manage our tired old bodies!  Knees give out, our
vertebral discs degenerate and herniate, hips wear down, our weight goes up,
arthritis sets in.  Life becomes one big management issue!  BUT ALWAYS
REMEMBER, GETTING OLD IS BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE!!!!!!

Melanie