[pct-l] High Sierra Snow

Trash at CrazyEarth.com Trash at CrazyEarth.com
Mon Aug 16 23:12:30 CDT 2010

I had originally planned to hike the high Sierra along the PCT several
months ago (Sec G - I, Kennedy Meadows to Sonora Pass, and Mt Whitney), back
when higher than normal snow pack was an issue.  Heeding warnings, I
practiced self-arrest with an ice-axe and purchased some Kahtoola
MicroSpikes for traction so I'd be fully prepared for snowy/icy conditions.
Unfortunately, that trek has been delayed to September.  My question: This
late in the year, is there any use in taking an ice-axe or other snow aids?
Do any sections of steep snow or ice still exist along the PCT in CA, or has
it all melted?  Can I safely assume that no significant new snow will fall
during Sept or early Oct in the high Sierra?  In other words, should I leave
my ice-axe and Kahtoola's at home?