[pct-l] Food at VVR and MTR

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Wed Aug 11 23:05:16 CDT 2010

Can anybody tell me if you can stop in to eat at MTR and VVR even if
you do not plan to stay over night? Do they have breakfast or is
dinner better?
==========================

Meals at MTR are only by advanced reservation for people staying at the ranch.  They don't sell meals separately.  They have rare openings for a 1-night stayover, running $140+ /night.
Their primary business is a backcountry private dude ranch.
http://www.muirtrailranch.com/index.html

VVR has a dedicated restaurant.  I've always found the food delicious--WAY beyond the quality you'd expect to find in such a place.  Generally, if found in town, I think it'd cost MORE.

Their primary business is transient traffic-hikers, hunters, fishermen...along with a few people who like to use their rustic motel rooms, yurt, trailers, or tent cabins.  They are particularly friendly to hikers, as the current owner is a skilled and experienced Sierra mountaineer.  He is also an expert at fixing foot problems!

http://www.edisonlake.com/

Also, is the hot spring near MTR worth a visit?

It can be, HOWEVER.  One must cross the San Joaquin River to reach it.  In high water years (of which this is one), the other side may be unreachable through the torrent.

However, if one can reach it, it is a large earthen pool, with a dirt bottom.  Very welcome after a day of hiking.
Here is a picture:

http://image09.webshots.com/9/8/68/61/178386861ngMNsB_ph.jpg