[pct-l] Degree bag for thru hike?

sojo hendrix sojo42 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 16:08:15 CDT 2010

I've been very happy with my 15 degree marmot helium down bag.  Women's for
5'6" weighs 29 ounces. Not ultralight, but light and oh so cozy.

Sojourner

On Aug 10, 2010 11:32 AM, <ned at mountaineducation.org> wrote:

My wife and I have been teaching snow camping and general mountaineering
since 1982. Last season we logged nearly 70 nights on the snow. Our
experience has taught us that you will be warmer in individual bags rather
than couples bags, because of the down draft that is allowed between the two
of you. Of course, it depends on how the bag is designed to prevent this.
Now, with a quilt that might be manageable, but will the down be compressed
in the process?

In addition to asking others what they think, go out and test different
systems for yourselves to see what works for you. In our (Mountain
Education) snow courses, students bring many different types of bags, pads,
and shelters to test on the snow. Warm sleepers sometimes get away with 15
or 20-degree bags while cold sleepers are not warm enough in their 0-degree
bags. Down air mats like those from Exped do the best to keep you warm and
augment the thermal value of the bag. You've got to find out what works for
you before you leave on your trip.

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd