[pct-l] iphone vs droid for thru-hike

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Sun Aug 8 16:33:00 CDT 2010

I used Verizon in 2009 and hiked with others who had ATT (Sprint and Tmobile have poor coverage in comparison).  It seemed like ATT and Verizon had similar coverage or it slightly favored ATT in the first half of California.  After that it seemed like the service slightly favored Verizon as I had coverage in a few places that ATT didn't.  Halfmile's website (of Halfmile's PCT Map fame) has been collecting cell and WiFi coverage on the PCT from hikers so you might want to check it out.  It's not complete since most hikers don't submit info during their hike, but it at least its something.

I either service will work fine for you.  Pick the phone you like best and use that as your criteria.  Though I hear from some iPhone owners that ATT's 3G data coverage (not their voice coverage) isn't as widespread as Verizons; but thats 2nd hand info so take it with a grain of salt.

-Miner