[pct-l] Looking for a companion 4 2011

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Aug 7 13:48:23 CDT 2010

On Aug 6, 2010, at 12:49 PM, Sherri Worrell wrote:
> Hi, My name is Sherri and I am new to the forum. I am planning a thru hike for 2011. It's something I've wanted to do for years. At this point I am going alone with my dog. (I don't need criticism about the dog. I am very educated about animals and promise to do right by my boy.) I don't know a sole with the will or means to join me so I'm wondering if anyone else is looking for a trail mate.  I have most of my gear and would be willing to share what I can. I also have someone committed to sending resupply boxes and several resources in the so-cal sections and a few by lake Tahoe. Any and all suggestions would be great. Sherri

My advice, which is often difficult for folks new to long-distance hiking, is to not worry about pre-arranging a hiking partner.  Hiking with a pre-existing partner (spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, college buddy) has its own set of issues although my comments below are often applicable in that situation also.

It is really difficult to determine ahead of time how compatible you will be on the trail with someone else--more so in your situation because you are really talking about getting three souls to cooperate.  If you are hiking during the regular thru-hiker season you'll be surrounded by people at the beginning of your hike.  As you get to know the hikers around you, you'll gravitate towards compatible companions and you can talk about 'partnering up'.

That being said, if you do find someone to start your hike with you make sure you both have seriously discussed your partnership.  Is it 'just to get started'?  Are either of you dependent on the other (equipment, moral support, etc)  in completing the hike? What if the other person drops out? How are you going to feel if the other partner wants push harder to get to town?  slow down to enjoy the scenery?  hang out in town for a couple of days?  get up early?  night hike?  stop every hour? every-other hour? 2mph pace? 3mph pace? fast or slow on hills?  hike 'back to back' or see each other at breaks and at camp?

It can be really hard to maintain a partnership on the trail because of these different desires and priorities.  At some point you'll have to decide if the partnership is more important to you than your own hike.  Sometimes it will be small decisions (where to stop for lunch) but sometimes the outcome of the decision will split you up for weeks at a time or more.  If you haven't discussed these possibilities ahead of time your partnership can become a daily struggle and source of annoyance rather than enjoyment.

Radar