[pct-l] How much of (calif) section A-F is do'able in January

Peter Shaw shawonpct at msn.com
Tue Aug 3 17:15:53 CDT 2010

Typically, here in LA we get the first "cold" storms in November and these
usually dump snow in the mountains. If you look at the Mountain High ski
area website they advertise a mid-November to April season. They do make
snow, but they also rely on the natural stuff as well. The PCT goes right
past the Mountain High ski lifts and is just a few miles from Baden Powell.
Bottom line is that the first three months of the year are likely to be snow
bound on all of the Southern Cal high country - San Jacinto's and Baden
Powell vicinity. You could always take the lower elevation detours that many
thru hikers took this year. Many of the January and February storms have a
snow level down to 5000 ft or less - just look at how often the Grapevine on
I5 is closed. So it's going to be a lottery on the lower elevations all the
way from the border to the Mojave Desert. If you get caught in a snow storm
you'll have to wait it out a few days for it to melt off. This year people
were catching snow storms near the border the week before the kickoff.

If you are trying to avoid snow altogether, then I would suggest a different
plan. The later you start, the easier it will be through all the mountains.
If you get the mileage in quicker, then you will shorten the amount of time
you need off work. Think about a mid-May start and try to finish by
mid-September. Jumping around to find sections not snowbound seems to me to
be very time consuming and often not very effective.  Minimize off-trail
travelling for supplies and don't go into far away towns just because they
have a reputation for being a neat place. After all, you can drive to any of
the towns any time. Limit zeros to times when your body needs them, not
because you scheduled them. Plan to hike into a town in the morning, get
resupplied and cleaned up in the heat of the day, and leave in the late
afternoon. Use commercial businesses for packages wherever possible so you
don't get stuck waiting on post offices to open. Just my opinion derived
from lessons learned during my hike last year.

Hope that helps.

Peanut Eater (PCT09)