[pct-l] bear cans

leestcoast at gmail.com leestcoast at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 22:59:30 CDT 2010

They aren't required but there are a lot of bears in that area that infiltrate Tahoe City or the Truckee  areas in search of people food. In '07 I saw bear scat in several camping areas on the PCT SoBd from Donner Pass. I'd recommend using an Ursack with an OpSak odor proof liner and tie it to a down tree or snag well away from where you sleep. It's worked well for me, even when I could hear a bear in the vicinity tearing up a log or tree for grubs or what not during the night. They never found the Ursack.
Cruz Control