[pct-l] Fires prohibited

AsABat asabat at 4jeffrey.net
Thu Apr 29 10:50:45 CDT 2010

We have received several complaints of new fire rings being built in areas
where fires are not allowed. Since most people on the trail this time of
year are PCT hikers, it would appear to those in power that we are at fault.

We are very fortunate that the PCTA is able to issue a single permit for the
entire trail. I would hate to see that ability revoked because we can't
follow the rules. I would expect that the rangers would assume the fire
rings were made by PCT hikers.

The rules for Cleveland National Forest (which includes Mt. Laguna):
"Wood & charcoal fires are allowed only in developed campgrounds and
developed picnic areas within designated fire rings. Campfires are not
allowed outside developed campgrounds and developed picnic areas at any time
of the year."

In Anza Borrego Desert State Park (including from Mason Valley Truck Trail
to near the top of San Felipe Hills):
Fires must be in a metal container off the ground, no wood gathers,
everything including ash must be hauled out.

We've had similar complaints in the last two years by backcountry rangers in
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks of fires made above the permitted
elevation by hikers apparently unprepared for snow and water. These rangers
are well known and respected and are envious of our trip, but can make
things difficult for us if things don't get better.

I understand the weather has been less than pleasant the last couple weeks.
I would hope citations would not be issued when it is a matter of life and
death. But, please consider if it's really an emergency or if you are just
cold and miserable. And even then, remove the fire ring when you leave and
scatter the COLD and WET ash out of sight. Better yet, BE PREPARED for bad
weather and don't put yourself in these situations.

Thank you for your consideration.

AsABat