[pct-l] Snow near Idyllwild

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 29 10:33:33 CDT 2010

To clarify Mile 175 to 179 trail junction does not have extreme drop
offs or exposed trail.  Check topo map of area for details. A great
area for learning navigation in the snow.

Ice/ snow patches start a little past appache spring junction about
mile 169.4.   I counted five different general snow sections/ patches
along the more exposed trail portion up to mile 175.  The snow looks
like it is melting fast. So this report will most likely be obsolete
in a week or so.

It was easier to kick steps at 11am compared to early morning. I saw a
hiker make it through with trecking poles. I used an ice axe but
didn't self arrest or slip once

I hope this helps.

Paul

Sent from my iPhone