[pct-l] California Hike

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Apr 29 09:51:37 CDT 2010

After summiting Mt Whitney, descend the east side on the Mt Whitney Trail to Whitney Portal. Have a burger at the WP Store. Easy hitch into Lone Pine, one of the best trail towns on the PCT. Stay overnight at the new Whitney Portal Hostel in Lone Pine.

Catch the local ESTA (Eastern Sierra Transit Authority) CREST North bus to Bishop K-Mart. Transfer to a larger ESTA bus to Reno. It goes right to the baggage claim area of Reno airport (and to the Greyhound station after that). Go home from Reno.

http://easternsierratransitauthority.com/wb/pages/bus-routes/crest-north-lone-pine-reno.php

I did this system in reverse last summer. It's a long but comfortable ride with a short wait in Bishop.

Wandering Bob