[pct-l] Testing of Bear Cannisters / URSACK

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Wed Apr 28 19:41:04 CDT 2010

Matt,

Personal experience: A well known cinnamon bear at Cathedral Lake in
Yosemite was scared off from an neighboring campsite at dinner time. It ran
toward our unoccupied campsite. When it saw our Garcia sitting about 50 feet
in front of our tent it immediately made a U-Turn and went back to toward
other campsite. I have heard of other people stating similar experiences.
California bears know they cannot breach the canisters.

The bear canister that was defeated by Yellow-Yellow was a Bear Vault. The
Bear Vault can be compressed by squeezing the sides and popping the top off.
The Garcia cannot be compressed. It's sides are more rigid and it is shaped
with a wider middle with a ridge. Good engineering!

There are no physical hinges on a Garcia. The lid is recessed into the top .
The lock is flat and operated by a quarter or similar sized flat object.
The lid unlocks, pivots open on the heavy plastic supporting the lid. I'll
take your word that there exists a weak point. I don't see a point weak
enough for a bear to open the canister.

You mentioned that the larger the object the easier it is to gnaw on. I
submit that there reaches a point where that is no longer true. The size of
the Garcia is so large a gnawing bear has trouble getting any purchase on
the canister. The rounded edges and slanting sides give the bear little to
gnaw on.  People who have gnaw marks on their canister are proud of them and
are excited to show them off. The marks I have seen are merely heavy
scratches - not even near to damaging the structure integrity of the
canister. And most of them are on the top near the "weak point".

The biggest problem I have heard of in using a Garcia canister is that a
bear bats them around until they roll down an hill - perhaps into running
water. The owner has trouble finding his canister the next morning. Many
people paint bright colors on their canister to help find/identify them.

I have no interest in Garcia or any other canister company. But I do believe
these canisters a worthwhile in protecting our bears.

Ken