[pct-l] plant identification

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Apr 28 19:38:34 CDT 2010

I was going to guess it was Yucca, too. You can eat the flowers,
although I think they're a little bitter. I'm not sure about eating
the rest.

There are two yuccas out there that I could see. One was the whipplei
but the other was shorter with fatter leaves.

Diane

On Apr 28, 2010, at 5:16 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> This plant is a Yucca whipplei, common name Our Lord?s Candle. The
> one in
> the picture, is an immature plant. It is not poison but it
> certainly did not
> agree with a least one hiker who tried to sample it. He had a long
> night
> last night with bouts of vomiting etc. I'd say off hand, although
> the plant
> may be edible, I'd stick to pro bars.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight