[pct-l] Using the Ursack without the aluminum

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 20:10:49 CDT 2010

I don't now how to write an engineering specification for a bear *not* being
able to get into something.  I am sure any specification written could have
something designed that met spec and still was ineffective against bears.

The purpose of a bear cansiter is not to protect your food from the bear -
it is to protect the bear from your food.  A suttle yet important
difference.

Approved canisters are tested with real bears.  If they can get in or carry
it way - it fails.  The carry it way part is why canisters are all so large
and hard shelled.  They are made that diameter so a bear cannot carry it way
as its mouth will not open that big.  This is why you are not supposted to
tie a canister to anything - it gives the bear a handle to carry it away.

Again the NPS doesn't care if you lose your food.  They care that a bear got
your food  --  their concern is for the bear.

Day-Late