[pct-l] Mt Laguna Weather

Len Glassner len5742 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 20:49:46 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 5:39 PM, CRYSTAL NEZGODA <littlevixsin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am starting a my hike on may 2, the first 300 miles from the mexican
> boarder, should I be worried about cold weather and snow???????????

"Should I be worried"  is a problematic phrase in any question.

We don't know what your gear list looks like.  Are you packing a 40F
sleeping bag, and a wind shirt as total precip protection?  If yes,
then maybe so.

The wet weather that's been happening during April is within the realm
of possibility in any hiking year on the PCT.  El Nino seems to have
increased the frequency a great deal, from what might have been fewer,
isolated events.  As for May - I try not to predict, especially the
future.  In late-May 2008, snow drove hikers off Baden-Powell, and
rain drenched those at lower elevations.  It 'should' have been 90F at
Cajon Pass, but instead I witnessed a hypothermic hiker being brought
into the Best Western for thawing out.