[pct-l] The Conversation Ends -- The Hiking Begins

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Apr 21 08:13:50 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

For those of us PCT-L participants who this year are unfortunate in not
being able to attend the Kick-Off and/or are not beginning a substantial
hike, not only are we still home but now begins the annual dip in posting
rate on the List.

December through March usually have the highest volumes.  The April rate is
high for the first two weeks, but the rate drops off greatly as hikers face
last-minute chores and depart for a late-April start at the border.  By May
the posting rate is off about 50%, staying there until interest renews in
the autumn for the next year’s season.

>From autumn into winter we begin to see many new names appear as the next
year’s section and thru-hikers post their questions; some of which are
excellent while others are real yawners.  Unfortunately, we rarely hear from
those names again after the following hiking season.  That’s typical:  “Been
there, done that, got the tee-shirt -- now let’s get on to the next
challenge.”

I guess I should have written, “Been there, done that, got the bandanna”
but, whatever hiking experience they come away with, it’s a good bet that
it’ll be different – hopefully better – than what they expected.

Good luck to them all in ’10.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09