[pct-l] Do hikers just go through the snow on Mt. Jacinto, Big Bear etc.? What are your plans?

Joel Fisler pct at fisler.ch
Tue Apr 20 13:20:48 CDT 2010

Hi there,
I did basically all the Southern California parts of the PCT from Campo to Highway 74 near Idyllwild (I'll do a small missing stretch after the kickoff) and so I wonder: Should I really continue after Highway 74? Reading the postings from this list and reading on the PCTA website the status reports it sounds like a lot of snow (and more to come today and tomorrow). And to be honest: I dont want to walk in the snow, I dont want to camp in the snow, I can have snow in my home country (Switzerland) from about October to May, I didnt come to Southern California to hike in the snow, really :-) Plus: I did not take any snow equipment with me to the US. So I'm thinking about alternatives and was wondering what you guys are planning. Here are some thoughts:
- San Giorgino Pass to Cajon Pass: Same here, still snow and maybe more to come today/tomorrow...
- Cajon Pass to Agua Dulce: Basically closed... I'm not gonna hike 40 miles or more along a highway...
- Agua Dulce to Tehachapi Pass: Thats probably the section that I'm gonna do next week but then I have to hitchhike to Agua Dulce and later back to Highway 74...

What are your thoughts? I am not planning to do a Through-Hike so I am kind of flexible... Any thoughts? What are the people doing that started two or three weeks ago and must now reach or have passed Idyllwild already?

My trail journal by the way:
http://postholer.com/fisler

Bye
Joël

Joël Fisler - joel at fisler.ch - http://blog.fisler.ch

HOME:	109 Muerdago Rd., Topanga, CA 90290
PHONE:	+1 (774) 2FISLER or "joelfisler" (Skype)
CHAT:	fisler at mac.com (Messenger & iChat)