[pct-l] Washing Clothes on the Trail

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 16:24:14 CDT 2010

Brian wrote:A solar shower is not required to avoid being stinky. When I am hiking I try to wash every day. Somehow or other I have
managed this feat for three decades without once resorting to a solar shower. I do take a washcloth. It helps a lot. I hike alone mostly, so there's no one to smell me most of the time. This helps even more! I can't match your hiking during the 50s or 60s. I only started backpacking in 1970.
Switchback replies: I love the youngsters on this List.  One of the great benefits of backpacking is to be smelly.  To be gross,  To be stinky.  Only the women worry about these things.  We mountainmen consider it a badge of honor to be Neanderthal.  The more the better.  The more  status you have among your male peers.  The conversations go like this, "Say, did you smell Switchback when he went by?  Yea, I sure did.  It about knocked me out. Wow, he is a cool dude."

I thank you.