[pct-l] Washing Clothes on the Trail

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 21:15:24 CDT 2010

Hey Brian - you mean you would actually prefer being stinky and be willing to give up being able to take a hot shower on the trail and the convenience of gravity-fed warm running water from a spigot right at your campsite - rather than carry just 11 ounces ? ? ? Hikers are sure getting soft about carrying extra ounces these days. During the 50's and 60's, long before I discovered horses, I backpacked about 2500 Sierra miles, sometimes carrying as much as 60 pounds. In those earlier times Sierra hikers had to be stronger and braver to be able to fight off the Saber Toothed Tigers and Short-Faced Bears that roamed the wilderness. And I hadn't yet learned about bear charms.  Reinhold and Switchback know about that, having survived thier epic adventures of the 60's. Then with the 70's there came a guy named Eric Ryback - who carried as much as 70 pounds and did'nt resupply very often.
MendoRider