[pct-l] Washing cloths & hot shower & layover on trail

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 16 15:34:33 CDT 2010

Since I rode a horse on the PCT and went solo,( and consider stopping in towns a distraction to be avoided whenever possible ), my approach was very different from that of most of the hikers. I virtually lived on the PCT and only stopped in the few towns that were either on or very near the trail. My resupplies were usually from well-camouflaged caches that I buried near road crossings and trailheads as I drove my rig north. Having left my horse in good care (prearranged) I would either hitch back, or when I was lucky, got a much-appreciated ride back from an angel.  After digging up a cache I was very careful to leave the spot looking just as I found it.  I "cowboy camped" most often as I really wanted the wilderness experience. My layover days were often well off, and out of sight, of the PCT. What I was looking for was water, graze for Primo, and trees to highline him at night - a nice flat place for my tent would also be a plus. Leave no trace was
 always a priority.

I brought along a collapsable bucket for my horse and also used it when washing cloths. I did not use soap for washing cloths. I used agitation and a plastic scrubber instead and then rinced them in lakes or streams. I heated water for showers in my 2.5 gallon (it weighs 11 ounces) solar shower. I also used it to provide the convenience of gravity running water in camp. To shower I would hang it from a branch well away from natural  water sources. I used very little bio-degradeable soap on a thin wash cloth when showering - just get wet, shut off water, wash , then rince. I could easily do that on 2 gallons - including washing my hair.

Looking back, when I hiked the John Muir Trail during the 1950's it took about two weeks. I needed no resupply - was in no hurry, fished a lot and also supplemented the food that I carried with wild plants.

Hikers who are concerned about the cost of doing the PCT might consider an approach something like mine. You don't really NEED motels, restaurants, etc.- so minimize using them. Yes, use the P.O. in town to resupply and buy resupply food - and then return to the trail. You should be able to do the entire PCT for under $2,000.
MendoRider