[pct-l] The herd is spreading out?

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Thu Apr 15 16:05:16 CDT 2010

It's not your imagination. There have been two or three waves observed here.
All the folks who start before the KO create their own herd, which often
merges with the KO herd. Last year a big group hung out after the KO
(getting some great magic from the Anderson's), and created yet a third
wave.  The big nights here in 2009 were 51, 55, and 49. I really appreciated
the efforts made by folks (hurrying up, slowing down, or leaving and
returning the following day) in order to distribute themselves.  Truth be
told, I really hate having a two-night limit, but alas.

This is going to be a weird year, and I don't think we'll see the typical
pattern. My armchair speculation is that everyone is going to be here about
a week ahead of the average.  The closure/reroute through Section D is going
to have an impact on hiker traffic.

We still seem to be in the "Pineapple Express" storm pattern, so it would
not be a surprise to have weather be a factor in the equation again this
year. We had a lot of rain and snow in So Cal already, and the first
thru-hiker of this year indicated that he experienced a lot of both that in
the San Jacintos and San Bernardinos. With no reroute information posted, he
got driven around the closure and started again at Soledad Canyon.

Mine is only an educated guess. We'll see what happens.  Anticipation is
part of the fun. Bring on the hikers!!!

L-Rod