[pct-l] Flotsam and jetsam

abiegen at cox.net abiegen at cox.net
Tue Apr 13 13:08:43 CDT 2010

>On a Sierra hike years ago, the boots I was wearing (we all wore huge heavy
boots) became unbearable. I changed to my sneakers and tossed the boots in a
bush, intending to pick them up on the way out. A week later, heading out
early in the morning, I saw a group camped next to the bush. I went over in
a friendly way and retrieve my boots. They hadn't noticed them, but I would
not have been happy if they had claimed them. They weren't abandoned, they
were cached. (Yes, I suppose technically leaving property in the wilderness
is wrong, but I wasn't about to carry an extra 10 pounds on my back.)

Oh yes, that is the fourth case and that is called "lagan." This is when the original owner puts something of value in a known spot ( on the sea it would be tied to a buoy) so that they can find it and retrieve it when they return. In that case it definitely belongs to the original owner.

So those are the four cases in maritime law; flotsam, jetsam, derelict and lagan Wow, all permutations covered, lesson completed.

Next lesson we'll discuss whether sailboats actually move or is it just continental drift - a favorite topic of power boat owners at the Power Squadron.

TrailHacker

"When my feet hurt I can't think" Abraham Lincoln