[pct-l] re abandoned boots

Jack Wallace jackwallace39 at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 22:42:53 CDT 2010

 I am afraid I must reply to this thread since my attempt at being a good samaritan turned into an ugly scene in Big Bear and I probably started the entire ugly mess.

Here is the actual account of how this all got started.  I was descending Fuller Ridge when I noticed a single boot in the middle of the trail.  Since nobody was heading south on the PCT; I assumed the boot belonged to a north bound hiker.  I schlepped that silly boot from about the 6000' level of the ridge all the way down to the water faucet at Snow Creek.  Another thru hiker joined me there while we tanked up on water.  As he left, he found the mate to the boot in the middle of the pavement just past the water faucet.  We jointly decided to hang the boots on the metal sign at the trail head.

Two days later at the Whitewater Conservancy (or something close to that), a group of hikers came in.  I was kind of out of it due to some heat issues but I immediately noticed the offending pair of boots on one of the hikers (who shall remain anonymous).  I knew they were not his boots since I had a vague clue as to the original owners since they passed me on the south side of Fuller Ridge a few days prior.

I pointed out to the new "owner" or at least wearer of the boots that at his group's pace, they would almost certainly catch up to the original owner.

As many have pointed out; the shoes hit the fan in Big Bear at the hostel.  I asked the new owner how things worked out and he pointed out that he was still wearing the boots.

I did find out that the outfitter in Big Bear either gave the original owner new boots or gave him a substantial discount on another pair.

OK, that is the real story.  My personal take on the issue is:  The first boot was accidentally dropped on the trail but when that second boot appeared in the middle of the pavement; those boots were abandoned and up for grabs.

I will preserve the anonymity of the other hikers.

John Deer.