[pct-l] Cost of Food

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 21:48:18 CDT 2010

.
I've been doing lots of food shopping lately and I'm estimating that I'll
spend roughly $1300 on food for the entire thru-hike, not counting postage
or anything I buy in trail towns. I'm vegan and somewhat picky about what
artificial food additives I'm willing to eat(no partially hydrogenated oil
or sodium benzoate, thanks), so most of my resupply packages will be very
thorough and I don't expect to buy much trail food in towns. Most of the
food I've bought is either on sale or discounted in some way, but some of it
is organic and there are also a few 'luxuries' like maple syrup, almond
butter, and fair trade chocolate.

Anyway, I'm wondering what other people are spending on their food. My food
decisions have already been made and most of the money has been spent, so
I'm just asking out of curiosity. That, and I'll feel a little better if I
know I'm not the only one spending an enormous amount of money on food! (and
if I am spending a ridiculous amount, well, you'll know who to bribe for
some gourmet food when you're on the trail and sick of your ramen
noodles...)

--
www.hikefor.com/haiti-2010-Dan