[pct-l] Flotsam and Jetsam

Suzannah Swinehart suz_quz at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 19:45:56 CDT 2010

Urgh. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of "jetsam" even existing on the trail really fries me. How on earth does this fit with LNT? Leaving your corn pasta in a hiker box is one thing, but dropping your extra gear on the trail just because you're tired of it is....yeah.

If I were princess of the universe, all giardia encrusted undergarments would be promptly returned to the outside of the owner's pack with the aid of some superglue.

One thing I do love is the "trail mail" system. I am a scatterbrain...I admit it...and flotsam has happened to me on more than one occasion. I think it was my bandana that got returned to me by a much faster hiker, and likewise I picked up and sent on somebody's lei a year or two ago. I love our community.

-Chipmunk