[pct-l] Sierra resupply strategy

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Apr 12 15:47:44 CDT 2010

I don't think Jim was planning to carry the bear can all the way from
the Sauffleys. I think he wanted to use the Sauffleys as sort of a
base station to forward his Sierra gear. I would advocate against
that. Lone Pine is a better place to do that. It will cost a lot of
money to ship things twice. You don't need Sierra Stuff until around
Lone Pine. You'll have your first day above 10,000 feet about two
days before you get to the turnoff to go to Lone Pine and you won't
cross into bear can regulation country until after Lone Pine. If not
Lone Pine, then Kennedy Meadows is a better location to deal with
your Sierra gear. Lone Pine has the advantage of having a post office
right there so it's easy to mail out, but you can mail out from
Kennedy Meadows, too.

Diane

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:50 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Imposition? Only Donna can answer that; not anyone on this list.
>
> The bigger issue is the difference in the distance you will be
> carrying the bear canister. By sending the canister to Sauffley's,
> you are (unnecessarily) carrying both the weight and the bulk of it
> for 243 miles to Kennedy Meadows.
>
> Unless the regulations change, you COULD save an additional 42
> miles of carry by exiting at Trail Pass down to Horseshoe Meadows
> (there are bear boxes at the campground) and hitching into Lone
> Pine for re-supply and a zero day. GREAT TRAIL TOWN - best along
> the Sierra, IMO. Pick up your canister here instead of at Kennedy
> Meadows and continue north to Muir Trail Ranch or Vermillion
> Valley. This also lets you skip the Kearsarge Pass detour to Onion
> Valley/Independence (a so-so little desert town).
>
> It's your hike and your body carrying the pack.
>
> Wandering Bob

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic