[pct-l] Sierra resupply strategy

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Apr 11 23:25:56 CDT 2010

Imposition? Only Donna can answer that; not anyone on this list.

The bigger issue is the difference in the distance you will be carrying the bear canister. By sending the canister to Sauffley's, you are (unnecessarily) carrying both the weight and the bulk of it for 243 miles to Kennedy Meadows.

Unless the regulations change, you COULD save an additional 42 miles of carry by exiting at Trail Pass down to Horseshoe Meadows (there are bear boxes at the campground) and hitching into Lone Pine for re-supply and a zero day. GREAT TRAIL TOWN - best along the Sierra, IMO. Pick up your canister here instead of at Kennedy Meadows and continue north to Muir Trail Ranch or Vermillion Valley. This also lets you skip the Kearsarge Pass detour to Onion Valley/Independence (a so-so little desert town).

It's your hike and your body carrying the pack.

Wandering Bob