[pct-l] why close the burn areas?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Apr 11 19:21:03 CDT 2010

On Apr 11, 2010, at 5:06 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

>  There have been several highly skilled workers that have been
> killed in the Sierra in the last few years by hazard trees...in one
> case, by a tree falling on a forest service person in the middle of
> the night, crushing her while sleeping in her tent.

So close the areas to camping. Most of them are short enough for a
thru-hiker to blow on through in a couple of hours. Remember, we can
and do walk 20 miles in a day, not 500 feet like a typical car-
camper. And if it's burned but the only "trees" are manzanita and
chamise, then I can't see the risk of being crushed at all.

Diane

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic