[pct-l] Billy Goat's lost poles

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 16:31:06 CDT 2010

I came down the trail from the ridge as well.  I and others assumed that the
owner was taking care of business. Met the deputy after the faucet and tried
to pin point the location on the trail for him.  I later met the hiker that
left the pack, he had previously undergone a helicopter rescue for lack of
water the first day out of Campo.

I think the lesson is that rather than "booty", the lost gear could be an
indication of someone in trouble.  Poles, for example.  There is no way a
hiker is going to forget or voluntarily abandon hiking poles.  Even if you
were to leave your pack, your still going to take your poles. Poles on the
trail indicate the owner is nearby.

In '06 I lost my hat in the morning on the section from Echo to Donner.  I
gave up on it, only tp have Johnny Walker catch up with me 15 miles later.
 He was wearing three hats; he'd found two, the top one of which was mine
which he cheerfully restored.

In my opinion claiming ownership of gear found on the trail violates the
spirit of the trail.  After I had to get off the trail last year, I trail
angeled up through Ashland.  The whole concept of giving assistance without
expecting anything in return seems violated to me.  I helped people while
hiking if could and while I was off the trail if I could.  II I thought that
the concept of 'salvage rights' existed on the trail and that people were
out only for themselves I wouldn't be trying to help.

Gourmet