[pct-l] Billy Goat's lost poles

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Apr 10 14:53:44 CDT 2010

Good morning, all,

In ’08 I resupplied at Castella on Friday, and wanting to get up and away
from the Castle Crags Park weekend congestion I continued up the PCT north
till dark.  Just as I was settling into camp about 2/3 the way up Castle
Creek Canyon two hikers came down the hill.  The first one had a large pack
and mumbled something to me that they had gone “way up the canyon” and
couldn’t go any further.  The second guy was dragging his butt along behind
without a pack and he passed by without saying anything.  The next morning
at a steep outside switchback about a mile further up the canyon I came upon
a huge pack – complete and unopened --  along the side of the trail.  It was
wet with dew and it wasn’t in a place where a hiker would leave it to step
off the trail to dig a cat hole.

My guess is the two guys were week-enders who started out Friday, and
crapped-out after gaining about 3,000 ft. elevation above the park.  I have
no idea if that was the guy’s pack nor, if so, whether he ever came back and
retrieved it, and I wasn’t about to haul it back down the hill or, worse,
haul the “bootie” on through to Etna. People like that almost never carry
anything I need anyway.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09