[pct-l] Billy Goat's Lost Poles

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sat Apr 10 09:04:33 CDT 2010

What to do about equipment (or trash) found along the trail is always a question. On one hand, I'd like to pick it up and carry it as far as the next dumpster or re-supply station. On the other hand, I realize that unless there is contact information on or in the equipment, the chance of it finding its way back into the hands of its former owner is slim at best (i.e. the owner is going the other direction). The same holds true for any of my equipment that jumps ship (and a few things have over the years); too bad for me. I should have been more careful.

How far I'm willing to carry such things before I can dispose of them comes into play as well; a day or two - maybe; more than that, forget it. Besides, I'm already carrying MY stuff, which is far more important to me than YOUR stuff which YOU lost. Also, the capacity of my trash bag was selected based on my own needs, which get served first.

So, unless the item is deemed expensive, or has some means of readily identifying and contacting its former owner, I'm sorry, but it's probably just going to stay there. I came out here to enjoy my hike, not act as a lost and found or garbage service. If that sounds callous, too bad.

Wandering Bob