[pct-l] fuel canister by USPS?

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Fri Apr 9 23:17:39 CDT 2010

On Apr 10, 2010, at 12:09 AM, Andrea Dinsmore wrote:

> So how exactly does MSR get its fuel canisters to stores, legally?
>
> Common carrier interstate trucking compnies who's drivers carry a Haz-Mat endorsement on their driver's licence.
> PCT MOM  (retired interstate truck driver)

As I assumed.  I was trying to point out that Lance's suggestion that DOT regulations prohibit the shipment of the fuel canisters couldn't really be the whole story since clearly the containers were getting to stores.

I went back and read the article that Lance linked to.  It turns out that the DOT is just charging a fee and requiring different labeling:

> DOT has since inspected several manufacturers and retailers and ordered them to start labeling the canisters as a hazardous material. That will add $22.50 in hazmat fees to every case of 4-fluid-ounce MSR IsoPro canisters shipped through FedEx or UPS, according to Cascade Designs. That’s the same fee the small package delivery services charge the company for a case of 8-fluid-ounce IsoPro canisters, which never had ORM-D status.

So the actual shipment method hasn't changed, just the labeling and the 'hazmat fees'.  Of course this means the end-user cost will go up.  Not sure what it means for the postal service regulations though.

Radar