[pct-l] Hypothermia (was "Earthquake!")

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Fri Apr 9 16:26:52 CDT 2010

Radar,

As usual, you're correct.  The "I don't need this raingear/shelter" attitude
is exacerbated by our warmer weather.  It can be hot and sunny for extended
periods, leading people (locals as well as visitors) to believe that,
"Summer is here so why bother with all this cold weather gear?" They send it
ahead to Kennedy Meadows.

Unfortunately, winter and spring are extremely variable in southern
California, and you absolutely should hold onto your raingear and shelter
any time you go for a hike. As Bill Bryson pointed out in "A Walk in the
Woods," and as my WFA instructors have cautioned, more people die of
hypothermia when the temperatures on a fair day plummets to a mere 50
degrees or so, catching people without adequate warmth and protection, than
die in snowy blizzard conditions. It doesn't take much chill before your
hands won't obey your commands to strike a match or lighter, zip a jacket,
or put up shelter, and things can go really south from there.

This is my same old, tired out, broken record,
you're-all-tired-of-hearing-it warning. Sadly, I know that there will still
be too many hikers who don't get this message and make this mistake. It cost
one precious hiker his life. Despite that, I see hikers taking that chance
though I hope and pray I won't.

L-Rod