[pct-l] The New Trans-Catalina Trail is Done!

Brian Peterson reegox3x at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 01:52:48 CDT 2010

Just got back a week ago from doing a yo-yo on the trans catalina trail, i
was out on catalina backpacking for 7 days...i highly enjoyed the trail, saw
bison 4 of the 7 days i was out there (they were super close to the trail
and camps several times), and two endangered foxes, and lots more wildlife,
plus i caught it right in the middle of spring, lots of green grasses and
wildflowers, i highly recommend it before it turns brown...you have to
reserve campsites ahead of time, most of the island is a conservancy so the
land is protected, which means you cant camp where you want...my only
complaint about it is towards the northern terminus by parsons landing
campground there are some highly steep hills with no switch backs (catalina
was pushed up when the pacific plate collided with the north american plate,
making catalina steep!!), the hills are not graded like the PCT, my toes
were hurting by the end of the 3rd day because the downhills were sooo steep
causing my toes to push hard into the toe box, im glad i had a walking stick
to aid on the downhills, ive never been on a trail with downhills that
steep, it almost sounds stupid but they were close to dangerous steep, it
was very hard to get traction on the steepness...i do highly recommend the
trail!!! it was awesome backpacking an island and having such great ocean
views!!!

check out a link to my trip:
http://picasaweb.google.com/reegox3x/TransCatalinaTrailYoYo#

~Stinky Butt